***You can purchase an INEXPENSIVE AD-FREE PDF of this pattern on Etsy HERE! This beautifully formatted PDF includes the step-by-step pictures and 5 patterns (Puff Stitch Scarf, Puff Stitch Cowl, Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl, Child Puff Stitch Cowl & Hues Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl) and is a total of 16 pages including the cover pages. This pattern is also available in the “Crochet Cowls & Scarves PATTERN BUNDLE” which includes over 20 beautiful designs at a discounted price – check out the bundle HERE!
Crochet this stunning “Hues Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl” using various shades of bulky yarn! The giant puff stitches provide beautiful texture and work up very quickly!
- 9 mm Clover Amour crochet hook
- Hue + Me Yarn (bulky level 5 yarn, 80% acrylic/20% wool) by Lion Brand Yarn – I used 3 skeins: Fatigues (Yarn A), Arrowwood (Yarn B), and Agave (Yarn C), approximately 95-105 g of each shade
- This cowl is worked in joined rounds.
- To create a nearly invisible seam, extend the loop on hook to height of first puff stitch when about to work first puff stitch of round.
- Please reference this blog post HERE to see detailed step-by-step pictures of how to work puff stitches in a round and how to get a nearly invisible seam. The “Hues Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl” is based on my “Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl” original design from 2015 with adjusted numbers.
- You will work 3 rounds of each color. To switch colors, use the new yarn color when slip stitching to top of first puff stitch to close up the round (at the end of the round).
- I did not cut the yarn when switching yarn colors as I simply dropped each strand and picked it back up when needed. Some of the yarn is visible due to the slant of the seam but I did not mind since I kept it on the inside of the cowl, plus the cowl is worn looped twice. Not cutting the yarn means less ends to weave in!
- Do not forget that last puff stitch of the round (the one right next to the seam). Count your number of puff stitches after you have completed each round to ensure that you are not increasing or decreasing.
- If you would like to increase the circumference of the cowl, add more initial chains (add multiples of 2).
- If you would like to increase the height of the cowl, add more rounds.
- This cowl is worn looped twice around the neck.
Yarn over, insert hook in indicated stitch and draw up a loop (3 loops on hook), [yarn over, insert hook in same stitch and draw up a loop] 2 times (7 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through first 6 loops on hook, yarn over and draw through remaining 2 loops on hook.
Gauge: 4 puffs (8 sts including chain 1’s) and 4.5 rounds = 4″
Chain 140. Join with slip stitch to first chain, being careful not to twist the chain.
Round 1: Extend loop on hook to height of first puff stitch that you will soon complete. Work first puff stitch in same chain where you worked sl st. *Chain 1, Skip 1, puff stitch* around. Chain 1, slip stitch to top of first puff stitch. (70 puff sts)
Round 2: Slip stitch into Ch 1 space. Extend loop on hook. Work first puff stitch into same chain space. *Chain 1, Skip 1, puff stitch* around. Chain 1, slip stitch to top of first puff stitch.
Round 3-9: Repeat Round 2
I used this colour scheme:
Round 1: Yarn A (Fatigues)
Round 2: Yarn B (Arrowwood)
Round 3: Yarn C (Agave)
Round 4: Yarn B (Arrowwood)
Round 5: Yarn A (Fatigues)
Round 6: Yarn C (Agave)
Round 7: Yarn A (Fatigues)
Round 8: Yarn B (Arrowwood)
Round 9: Yarn C (Agave)
Finished dimensions: 68″/173 cm circumference and 8.25″ (21 cm) tall
Hue + Me is a brand new yarn developed by Alexi Tavel of Two of Wands in collaboration with Lion Brand Yarn! Alexi curated this collection of shades so that they could be paired effortlessly together (18 shades available). I was sent 6 different colourways as samples, and I used 3 of them for the “On the Bias Throw Pillow” (knit pattern). You can find all the free crochet and knit patterns using this new yarn HERE. I love how it is a bulky yarn (level 5) so that it works up quickly and is a beautiful wool blend (80% acrylic/20% wool). I used the last 3 colourways to make this cowl, and I think they look absolutely stunning together and are so perfect for the fall!
I love cowls that loop twice around the neck as they are so warm and also look so stylish with the folds and drape. Puff stitches are very fun to work up and provide such beautiful texture! This is my first time working rounds of puff stitches in different colors, and I love the overall look – what a great way to add some color to your wardrobe!
If you want to whip up a quick cowl that requires very little time, I hope you will give this design a try! I finished this entire cowl within one day, and it was SO satisfying completing a project so quickly. I love working with bulky yarns and seeing the luscious stitches that result!
If you love puff stitches as much as I do, be sure to check out my other puff stitch designs: the Puff Stitch Scarf (worsted weight worked in turned rows), Puff Stitch Cowl (worsted weight seamed into circle scarf), Child Puff Stitch Cowl (worsted weight worked in rounds) and the original Jumbo Puff Stitch Cowl! All of these patterns can be found in this single PDF HERE (5 patterns at a great price) and are also available in my “Crochet Cowls & Scarves PATTERN BUNDLE“! Thank you for reading, everyone, and you can subscribe to my e-mail newsletter HERE to get all my updates and new designs!
Thank you to Lion Brand Yarn for sponsoring the yarn for this project! This pattern is an original pattern by Stephanie Lau of All About Ami. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. If you wish to share this pattern, you may link to this pattern but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use but please DO NOT sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me, Stephanie Lau of All About Ami, and provide a link to my blog www.AllAboutAmi.com. Permission is NOT granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you for being respectful and for your understanding!