Remember the chunky crocheted basket that I blogged about here? I loved it so much that I decided to make some bigger ones! The smallest basket on the right (in the first picture) was made by following this pattern here. The medium and large baskets were made by following the “Ombre Basket Pattern" found here on Liz’s blog called “Crochet in Color" with some modifications.
These modifications include:
- Holding two strands of super bulky yarn together (once again, I used Lion Brand Yarn’s “Wool-Ease Thick & Quick”) instead of four strands of worsted weight yarn
- Using one yarn colour for each basket instead of making it ombre or striped
- Increasing to 64 hdc (Round 8) and then going onto Round 10 (not increasing to 72 hdc as stated in the pattern)
- After Round 10 (where the seam separating the bottom and the sides of the basket is created), I did 15 rounds of “Sc in each sc around” for the large basket and 12 rounds for the medium basket before doing the round where the handle is created
- The handle round for both baskets is “Sc in next 11 sts, ch 10, skip next 10 sts, sc in next 22 sts, ch 10, skip next 10 sts, sc in next 11 sts” with the final round being “Sc in next 11 sts, 12 sc under the ch 10 sp. Sc in next 22 sts, 12 sc under the ch 10 sp, sc in next 11 sts.”
- Since I only worked with one colour for each basket, I did not need to join each round of the body of the basket, so the seam was eliminated!
Here are the dimensions of each basket as well as approximately how much yarn I used:
- Small: 14 cm/5.5” in height, 22 cm/8.5” in diameter; used ~ 2 skeins of yarn
- Medium: 24 cm/9.4” in height, 29 cm/11.4” in diameter; used ~ 3 skeins
- Large: 29 cm/11.4” in height, 29 cm/11.4” in diameter; used ~ 4 skeins
The large basket is sitting in my workspace and I use it to store my yarn for current projects. The medium basket is in the nursery and it is storing all of baby’s hats, boots and accessories! Don’t forget to check out the step-by-step making of the small basket HERE with plenty of pictures :) I love this family of baskets!